Tuesday, April 08, 2008

No rest for the weary

Let me introduce you to the Black Forest Academy Varsity Soccer Team. They're big. And good. I have been trying to put together a trip for my boys to play these guys since last year. There were about 6 or 7 times that I was pretty sure the trip wasn't going to happen. But after countless meetings and only 2 real practices, we loaded the boys up at 2:30 in the morning and headed for Germany.
I realize that this map is hard to see, but we traveled roughly 9 hours each way from Vienna to Kandern. It was a long trip, but well worth it. This group of athletes has been one of the most successful in the history of VCS and so one of the main goals of the trip was to give them one last big trip/sporting event to close out their VCS time.

BFA was great to us and they had a fantastic location (the field was in the side of a mountain). I don't have any pictures right now but I hope to have some video once the boys in the videography class get the clips on youtube.

When we arrived, we saw their teaming warming up (in full Adidas warm-up outfits, with their team bags lining the field). Our boys have uniforms, but we are usually doing well if we all have our matching socks. So needless to say, there was an intimidation factor. Our lack of real practice time together added to our tension.

They boys played fantastically well. We were even up 2-0 going into the 2nd half before our lack of fitness finally told and they managed to mount a great comeback and see us off 3-2. I was so proud of the boys and they were really proud of themselves. We had a 1 hour break and then played their JV team and beat them 3-1.

After the games, we had pizza with their team so the boys could get to know each other. Later that evening BFA had their open dorms night and so we all got to tour their rooms and the kids had even more of a chance to interact with one another. The boys also had fun staying in the BFA gym and playing everything from basketball to indoor hockey (all while they should have been tired and sleeping of course).

As well as everything went athletically, I was floored by God's leading of our conversation in my van on the ride home. I had spoken in Chapel on Friday, and one of the things I shared about was how we don't always "know" everything about our friends. I asked the Senior boys (who were all in my van) to share with each other about things that they might not know about each other. It was a great time.

The questions kept going: Share something with these guys that makes you emotional. If you could choose a girl in your class for one of your friends to marry, who would it be and why? What movie makes you cry? What's your favorite musical style and why?

Interestingly enough, this opened them up to asking me questions about all sorts of things. I was able to share my testimony of how I came to know the Lord, and also testify about the Lord's faithfulness in how he has led and directed my life.

I really can't even put into words what an amazing time this was. I can only give you a glimpse but I would like for you to join with me in thanking the Lord for this special time with these special men. Please pray for me and their Senior class sponsors as we work to help these guys connect with each other and leave well from VCS.

1 comment:

B&B_Reynolds_VCS_Missionaries said...

Thomas, thats really awesome how the Lord provided and has provided so many awesome ministry times ith those guys. It will be tough seeing them move on but we know that the Lord is with them wherever they head to. Blessings bro!