Tuesday, May 01, 2007

13 Miles is a Long Way

So I ran half a marathon and let me just say how much respect I have for my friend Daniel Scarbrough and anyone else who has run a whole marathon because as tired as I was when I ran to the finish line of my race, I can't imagine what it would be like for that to be the half way point of the race. It was a great experience although I wish I had trained a bit harder for it. I took me 2:28...which sadly was more time than it took the overall winner to run the whole marathon (yeah I'm slow but I was a goalie in soccer so what'd you expect).
This is my buddy Brian. He was the one who made me go running a few times a week in preparation. He finished ahead of me because he worked a bit harder in training. The whole thing was a pretty cool experience because we ran with over 25,000 other people.
This is me at about kilometer 8 when I was feeling pretty good about life. Fast forward another 8 kilometers and I was not a happy camper. Something happened with my right Achilles tendon and so I pretty much ran 4-5 minutes and then walked 1 minute for the last 4k. Mollie and Thad were waiting for me towards the end but I was too tired and in pain to notice. Afterwards, one of the teachers who lived near the finish line had all of us runners over for pasta. It was a good experience that I will take part in as long as we stay here in Vienna...but I will definitely train harder next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Correction, Thomas...I've never run a whole marathon. I've run 3 half marathons. The first in Tupelo (Aug-06) wasn't bad. The second in Washington DC (Oct-06) wasn't bad. It was the third one immediately following the second one in Washington DC (Oct-06) that was not...well, bad. I don't know if you can call what I did on that last half marathon running. It was ugly. Hey, miss you buddy. Looking forward to seeing you this summer. Take care. >< Daniel